[opendtv] Re: DVB-T receiver at $33/pcs !

  • From: Doug McDonald <mcdonald@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2005 13:01:31 -0600

John Shutt wrote:
> Mark,
>
> Again, the Guru knows!  And according to DVB.org, they are using 6 MHz
> channels as well.
> http://www.dvb.org/index.php?id=235
>
> So take the HDTV functionality of Australian boxes, and put them into 6 MHz
> NTSC-centric Taiwan boxes, and you have a ready made US DVB-T box!
>
> If only...

yes, "if only".

No, John you DON'T have a US OTA box. You have parts of one.
But you lack other things, such as our different "V-chip"
system.

HOWEVER ... to get the performance of an ATSC box at the
same bitrate (DVB-T is still MPEG-2) you need a DIFFERENT
front end with a 3 dB lower noise figure, because
of the C/N difference. And of course, this would just
reduce the need for preamps, not help ultimate
performance.

AND ... one more thing, John IT WOULD NOT WORK AT ALL
FOR OTA TV IN THE US, since we use ATSC, not DVB-T.

DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Doug McDonald