[opendtv] Re: DVB-H question

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2007 10:20:19 -0800

Assuming that they use MPEG-2 systems and DVB-SI (very likely, to say the
least), each program element can be signaled as being conditional access via
a descriptor associated with that pid.

MPEG-2 systems then provides that information to decrypt the encrypted
streams is contained in Conditional Access Tables (table_id 1 on pid 1).

I give that background because you were asking about carriers.  This is all
done downstream from the demod of the carrier, at the transport stream
level.

The details of what is contained in CATs is private and between the system
operator and their hardware vendors.  Kon Wilms no doubt has some knowledge
in that area.

Receive at will (with the appropriate receiver), sure.  Getting EPG and
barker data, just as likely.  Watching video or audio, it depends.

Hth

John Willkie
EtherGuide Systems

Does your PSIP generator sleep while you're awake?
www.EtherGuideSystems.com