[opendtv] Re: DVB considers SVC for 1080p and hierarchical modulation

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 16:56:56 -0800

No, Tom.  Going only by public announcements, ATSC M/H will support 416x240
video, and I haven't heard any public announcements mentioning other video
formats.  There was talk about an alternative video format, but it didn't go
in the direction of more pixels.

Since you won't read it: ATSC M/H IS FOR MOBILE/PORTABLE VIDEO.  720p IS FOR
HOME USE.  Just because you can put an HDTV set into an automobile doesn't
mean that it's a reasonable thing to do.  That takes care of mobile.  How
many batteries do you think you'd need to carry to power a hand-held HDTV
set?

Don't be confused by Bert's interest in retrofitting his HDTV set for M/H;
it's pure folly.

There are uses for SVC beyond kludigly supplementing bad codec/frame sizes
written into law.  Indeed, Qualcomm MediaFlo uses main and enhanced layers,
with 12/15 fps in the main, and 24/30 capability (and more pixels) in the
enhancement layer.

I haven't read anything in public about M/H frame rates, so I can't go
further.

John Willkie