[opendtv] Re: DVB considers SVC for 1080p and hierarchical modulation

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 03:38:13 -0500

John -

Please actually read my post before attacking. Parse it carefully. Pay special attention to the TWO different references to "the same size". There is no way it can be construed to mean I believe large displays take the same power as smaller ones.

- Tom

John Willkie wrote:
Really?  Aren't you an engineer?  And you think that a large screen uses the
same amount of power as a small screen?

Ever wonder why the battery for a laptop is much bigger than the battery for
a mobile phone?   And, the battery life is much shorter?

Ever wonder why the backlight on a cellphone only works for a few minutes
after the last keypush on a cellphone on battery power, but runs all the
time when connected to shore power?

Ever wonder why the same can be seen with a laptop?  Think it might have
something to do with -- say -- the LARGE amount of power taken up by the
screen and backlight?

John Willkie