[opendtv] Re: DVB Receiver Standard

  • From: Doug McDonald <mcdonald@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2005 14:14:40 -0600

Dale Kelly wrote:

> The DVB standards requirements  the are not "goals". The document states
> that receivers "shall" meet certain requirements to qualify as DVB-T
> receivers. One very important performance specification unaddressed by the
> ATSC
> document is that of receiver noise figure. Industry sources have stated that
> the typical ATSC receiver, using the cable ready configuration (the vast
> majority of receivers sold), has a noise figure of 12 to 14 DB

Those are abysmal numbers. Are they different using the
"OTA" configuration?

I am using preamps, but at a NF of 14 dB and a 100 foot cable
length they will clearly be worse than borderline. I use
two different preamps, one kind has a 10 dB gain and a 5
dB NF, the other a 16 dB gain and a 0.5 dB NF. Neither
would not even really be optimally high gain in the absence of
the loss from the 100 feet or so of cable.

Doug McDonald