[opendtv] Re: DTV licensing; Was: Mobile DTV test

  • From: Eory Frank-p22212 <Frank.Eory@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Allen Le Roy Limberg'" <allimberg@xxxxxxxxxxxx>,opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2004 13:56:17 -0700

Comments inline.

I say again, in a few years the retail price delta between ATSC-capable
integrated sets and today's NTSC sets will be maybe $50, not "hundreds." Then
the $25 royalty will be obscene.

> But IP prices being higher than actual production costs is
> not so strange. Look at PC software.

Interesting analogy. PC software cost is split between IP royalties, for code
that is licensed, and engineering time -- the company's internal investment and
its own IP. Add a little extra when sold at retail, where the cost of the
plastic box and a penny or two for the CD is factored in. So in the future,
silicon is free and it's only the IP and engineering we'll pay for? That's a
scary thought, when mask plates are approaching $1M -- nevermind engineering
cost to actually design something.

-- Frank