[opendtv] Re: DTV TRANSITION: “On Feb. 18, there will be a tremendous amount of finger-pointing,” Mr. Doherty said.]

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 08:39:39 -0500

Your cable friends are partly correct that for the DTV transition they have nothing to worry about.

In the longer term, more cable systems are attempting to move the PEG channels to the clear digital tier, requiring either an STB or a ClearQAM tuner equipped TV set. In my market, Comcast's attempted move was blocked by a court injunction, with litigation still pending.

My guess is that once the OTA digital transition is over, all of those manufacturers of cheap coupon eligible STBs will modify their software code slightly, unlock the built-in ClearQAM potential, and start selling "expanded digital basic" STBs to counter the cable company's attempt to rent 3 or 4 cable boxes per sub.

John

----- Original Message ----- From: "Cliff Benham" <flyback1@xxxxxxxxxxx>

My cable friends insist that they have nothing to worry about and that
cable will be forever analog.