[opendtv] Re: DTV TRANSITION: “On Feb. 18, there will be a tremendous amount of finger-pointing,” Mr. Doherty said.]

  • From: Cliff Benham <flyback1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 14:33:52 -0500

Is this indicative of what the public believes about the DTV transition?

I forwarded the NYT DTV transition piece to several friends.

One replied with the following comments...

"When I tell family members about DTV, their eyes glaze over. Family elders behave as if I'm Chicken Little. Expressions tell me that they're sure "This can't possibly be true!"
My cable friends insist that they have nothing to worry about and that
cable will be forever analog.
Some web sites also pretend that off-air TV has been passé for
decades. Of course, then we antenna viewers must all be Luddites. In that case, the DTV debacle is exactly what we deserve. We should mend our ways. We must at least try to be hip. Otherwise, how can we hope to keep up with the latest mode of conspicuous consumption? I remain unaware of how spending more for poor values improves my prestige. I guess that in some universe, foolishness equals popularity.

I can always laugh to myself that the federal government now dictates and
rations hipness. I wonder if the DTV switcheroo will get bigger headlines than the recession does?"