[opendtv] Re: DTV Delay Bill Introduced

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 11:14:34 -0500

Bob Miller wrote:

> UK OTA DTV users have been buying into OTA long before
> the end of their transition. They have been buying into
> OTA DTV from the beginning and at an ever increasing rate.
> They are doing so because the service is seen as a very
> good deal that works well.

Exactly. Whereas here, OTA is not seen as a good deal, because
broadcasters don't want to make it a good deal. Over here, you have to
sign up to an MVPD to make them happy.

As a matter of fact, I recently saw another little scheme to make sure
this continues to be the case. Zap2it used to list all the programs on
our Ch 7-3 "Retro Television Network." Now they just list "RTN
programming." What a clever way to ensure that viewership to that
subchannel will drop to near zero. I will see about contacting the
station, to figure out what's going on. They seem to be encouraging
customer feedback.

> How many who have problems with reception will do whatever
> to get decent reception ...

Again, in the UK, and in the rest of Europe, especially in countries
where low power is used for TV, the general rule is "professional
installation." In Berlin, back in 2003 when DTT started, the vast
majority of those buying STBs were living within the indoor reception
contours of the DTT stations. And the indoor reception contours in
Berlin were no more than 12-14 miles from the towers. Which is, if
anything, less than you can do here (most likely because we often have
more transmitter power here).

I get reliable reception now of stations as far as 20 miles away, with
only indoor antennas, ground floor. And less reliable at 46.6 miles.