[opendtv] Re: DTV Delay Bill Introduced

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2009 08:25:57 -0500

 So far, 24 millions sold, with coupons and outright.

 That's a pretty huge hit.

 WOW!

 That's 1.5 million more DTV boxes than the number of iPods
 Apple sold in the LAST QUARTER...

I suppose, if everything has to compared to Apple consumer toys, it
might sound like a small number.

Just one example. Total sales of cell phones in units is MUCH higher. Even the highly saturated market for DVD players is huge by comparison.

I was just trying to calibrate these numbers in CE terms. And remember, this is a one time market that is being fueld by government subsidies.

But it means that in fact more STBs
have sold than there are OTA-only households, supposedly. And btw that
number is certainly respectable compared to any other country's STB
sales, that the hype-meisters like to trot around.

The number of OTA-only households is not known. We extrapolate from the known number of homes that subscriber to multi-channel services. We have no real figures on the number of households that do not use ANY TV service.

And, if we are to believe the NAB, many homes that subscribe to a multi-channel service have at least one set that only receives OTA signals. I think they claimed about 30-40 million.

When viewed as a percentage of the market, the UK has sold a far higher percentage of Freevew boxes.