[opendtv] Re: DTV Delay Bill Introduced

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 11:08:20 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> You ave been digging the hole you are in since you joined this
> list.
>
> The 85% rule was intentionally vague and open to interpretation.
> Just the kind of bureaucratic mumbo-jumbo that the politicians
> and regulators thrive upon. It was a holding tactic by the
> broadcasters.

Did I imply otherwise, ever?

Look back at the subject heading of those Topica posts: Broadcasters
hate digital-TV proposal. Why did they hate that interpretation? Because
it would have them shut down OTA NTSC before enough OTA customers had
switched over to digital. That's all there was to it.

The FCC, however, needed to push their agenda, in order to free up
spectrum.

> The broadcasters WANT the transition to end.

Yes, now. Having the hard date forced on the viewing public, there is
now nothing but additional costs involved in your "retaining the NTSC
franchise." So now it makes sense to hurry this thing through, at least
for the broadcast stations, if not for the major networks themselves,
apparently. So much for retaining the NTSC franchise (although I must
confess, I never fully understood what that meant to you).

By the way, Craig, I also predicted that the STBs would make a tidy
profit for at least some time. They would sell quite well during the
final transition period. And, they certainly have done, by any measure.
Even though the CE manufacturers, for whatever reason, had to be dragged
in kicking ans scremaning to make them available. (Back in 2004-2005
time frame, it was practically impossible to find STBs in stores, and
completely impossible to get any up-do-date 5th gen STB products.
Remember?)