[opendtv] Re: DTV Delay Bill Introduced

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 08:24:16 -0500

It was my understanding that one was irregular (and unconstitutional) because they did not first reconcile the differences between the two houses. They just sent one of them to the President to be signed.

- Tom

Craig Birkmaier wrote:
At 6:21 PM -0500 1/19/09, Tom Barry wrote:
Craig Birkmaier wrote:
So in reality-land John, there was no real DTV deadline between the fall
 of 1997 and January of 2006, when Congress passed legislation
 establishing the February 17, 2009 deadline, which added 3 years and 48
 days to the deadline originally established by the FCC.

Did Congress really pass that legislation?

To the best of my knowledge yes. By the time it gets to the president any differences between hose and Senate versions must be reconciled.