[opendtv] Re: DTV DVB boxes in Australia

  • From: Mark Schubin <tvmark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2006 17:11:28 -0500

Manfredi, Albert E wrote:

>Offering multi-standard solution for existing DTT standards is simpler
>than offering NSTC/PAL/SECAM solutions, and even THOSE exist.

Simple, in theory.

When LG's engineers brought the successful 5th-generation box to my
apartment in the summer of 2004 (more than a year after it was first
shown publicly), they said the reason it looked like an existing LG box
is that it WAS an existing LG box.  Only the chip was changed.

The 5th-generation chips are being used in LG's integrated sets, so
they're avalable.  The 4th-generation STBs are still being sold, so
they're available.  But no one seems to be swapping those
work-in-my-apartment chips into the don't-work-in-my-apartment boxes.

I'm as puzzled as Bert as to why this isn't happening.

TTFN,
Mark