[opendtv] Re: DTV Audio and video synchronization

  • From: Adam Goldberg <adam_g@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 12:37:14 -0700 (PDT)

Yea but my leg hurt on that day and it doesn't anymore. Did they fix that too?
Must've.

The smoothing buffer has no effect on av sync.

Adam
adam_g@xxxxxxxxx

On Mar 22, 2008, at 3:33 PM, "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I know of a station that, because their "cable partner" complained of their
Scientific Atlanta encoders having "small buffers".  The cable company had
their vendor in the plant, the broadcasters had their encoder vendor in the
plant, and they adjusted things until there were no lip-sync issues with the
cable firm.

I've looked at the transport stream.  The audio is out of sync with the
video, where it wasn't before.  They have sb_leak_rate = 0 and sb_size = 0
(both apparently legal ATSC values, if you ignore that a buffer needs to
have a size and needs to have a leak rate.)

This is at the other end of the spectrum to "no effect", me thinks.

John Willkie