[opendtv] Re: DTT uptake in Italy

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2008 11:00:38 -0400

Bob Miller wrote:

> Statistics I have seen say that Italy may have 40 million
> TV sets and that they have sold 8.5 million OTA DTV
> receivers. There are 58 million Italians and maybe 20
> million households so 4.8% sounds suspiciously low. For
> example if 7 million of those 8.5 million receivers are in
> individual homes that would be a penetration of 35% which
> sounds more realistic than 4.8%.

My bet is, when a household buys one DTV set, it soon buys another.
Another fine point is that they talk about levels of use (quota di
ascolto). Combined with other reports I've seen, what happens is that
some of these DTV sets are not used to receive DTV. For example, by
people who live in areas not yet covered.

Actually, the DGTVi is rather pleased with that 4.8 percent, because
until recently, they had pegged the figure a something like 2 percent.

Another interesting figure is that 68.5 percent of DTV receivers sold
are integrated sets, as of April this year.

http://www.dgtvi.it/stat/Allegati/Rapporto_GFK_aprile_2008.pdf

Sales of interactive STBs are on the decline, as are sales of the
bare-bones "zapper" STBs.