[opendtv] Re: DTT tuner design

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2007 11:34:44 -0400

At 6:58 PM -0400 7/6/07, Tom Barry wrote:
All that is very good.  But how is local content going to be paid for?

And, especially, how will it be paid for in a way the local cable company cannot deliver the same thing more efficiently to more local eyeballs. Or are we back to must carry again?

Cable could do all of what I wrote about too. But they too suffer from the low hanging fruit syndrome. A handful of LPTV stations are doing this, but they do not have the cash flow to invest to turn this into a viable business.

The payment will come from local advertisers who sever the micro markets within TV markets. If broadcasters don't do it this will happen via Internet downloads in the next decade.

The key is producing content using affordable techniques so that small advertisers can participate.

Look at how YouTune be making money - free content created by their "viewers" who are subjected to the YouTube ads...