[opendtv] DRM+ or DAB+?

  • From: Albert Manfredi <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 20:44:35 -0400

Barry Wilkins wrote:

> I have just noticed an interesting development where the
> FCC is apparently permitting trials of DAB+.

Even though that was an April fools joke, my question for New Zealand, and the
rest of the world really, is why bother fussing with DAB+ and its new frequency
bands, when you can instead stay on the same AM and FM radio frequency bands
and use DRM+? Isn't this a better fit? And it uses the very latest of AAC codec
updates, HE-AACv2, which is even newer than the one used by DAB+ and HD Radio.

http://www.drm.org/system/technicalaspect.php

Trials are already underway in Germany, already finished in Hanover.

http://www.drm.org/pdfs/press_release_149.pdf

Used to be that DRM was just for the MW and SW bands, but now it goes up to 120
MHz. Doesn't this seem like a much better replacement for analog AM/FM radio
than DAB? If I had to pick some global standard to use instead of HD Radio,
this seems like the more obvious choice. You could start the transition by
allowing DRM+ channels at very low power levels, in the guard bands between
existing FM and AM stations, precisely the same as HD Radio is doing, in
effect, with its digital sidebands.