[opendtv] Re: DMB-T

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 10:45:37 -0400

Bob Miller wrote:

> I am told that there are already over 150 different receive
> devices in the works for DMB-T. This includes an Intel
> laptop with built in receiver.
>
> They say it will work as well mobile as DVB-T did using
> diversity reception. We were also told by another source
> that it would work almost as good as a Dibcom diversity
> receiver with DVB-T. Our video showed us using two regular
> and one diversity receiver mobile. We concluded that for
> most receivers diversity would not be necessary. Only in
> vehicle at speed would require diversity.

It seems to me that diversity antennas should help DMB-T more than
DVB-T, because DMB-T is narrow band. Meaning that if there's a notch in
the DMB-T spectrum, it's more likely to wipe out the entire DMB-T signal
than a similarly wide notch in the DVB-T band.

Similarly, diversity antennas ought to help VSB more than they help
DVB-T, for the same reason. Narrow and deep nulls might not seriously
degrade the COFDM signal, where they could make the single carrier
signal undecypherable.

> If either source is correct DMB-T/H should be very exciting.
> Especially with a diversity receiver :-)

Is it exciting? I mean, is the hype over handheld TV broadcast reception
proving to be true, or is it just another overly hyped idea that will
soon fizzle as merketers find something else to hype? I haven't read
anything about this since the less than enthusiastic reviews about
handheld TV broadcast during the World Cup. Are the kids buying this
stuff up, or could they not care less?