[opendtv] Re: DEA-what? was: Re: Re: News: DIRECTV Sued Over HDTV Picture Quality

  • From: Kon Wilms <kon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 14:28:15 -0700

On Thu, 2006-09-21 at 14:32 -0400, Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
> Kon Wilms wrote:
>
> > The modulation choice for this 'system' is a joke - cellular
> > with multicast or other data-network overlay is the natural
> > choice here people.
>
> I think the natural choice for info-to-population (i.e not two-way) in
> crisis situations is a system where a small number of towers can
> redundantly cover the market area. This describes a number of big
> sticks, such as used by radio and TV broadcasters, more than a cellular
> network. Knock out one, two, three, four, ... , and you can still cover
> the entire area.
>
> Multicast overlay is great to avoid saturation of the cell net, but the
> cell net still requires a lot more infrastructure to cover a large area
> than a small number of redundant big sticks.
>
> We have no decent cell coverage where we live, for example. Only works
> if you stand up next to certain windows. Knock out one of those small
> sticks, or part of the net that feeds them, and we'd be out of luck
> completely.

Your entire argument is flawed. First, you have no business case. Try
get money out of the govt. to roll out some 'big sticks'. Cellular
providers don't have this problem because they have a continuous revenue
stream. By the time you put out your big stick (if you ever get funding,
laugh) dozens of cell towers would have sprung up to cover multiple
areas. We can't even receive non-mobile television with the existing
ATSC system. And forget mobile. Talk about useless.

How many people do you think are on the road every day in their cars in
the freeways? I guess they don't need to be alerted of anything. And
those people in the densely populated cities sitting in skyscrapers? Nah
they don't need it either.

How many people are sitting in front of a TV or even close to one in a
time of crisis (or any time)? How many people have a cell phone in their
pocket? This is an argument you cannot win.

As for knocking out the system - it would be much easier to take out the
PBS bird, blow up the uplink dish (I'm sure only one dish is used
knowing the level of funding), or jam it and bring the entire DEAS
system down, than it would be to take out every single cell tower and
provider in the country.

It is a commonly known fact that if someone were to hit us with a
nuclear bomb the first place they would drop one would be in eastern
Montana or South Dakota. The weather would carry fallout to the entire
east coast. 'Best bang for your buck'. Now besides this, no-one is going
to drop anything out in the middle of nowhere where you cannot get cell
reception. So you are quite safe wherever you are, Bert.

Cheers
Kon