[opendtv] Re: Cracks Appear in Cable TV’s Bundle | c2meworld.com

  • From: Albert Manfredi <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2014 19:27:25 -0400

Craig wrote:

> Bert will no doubt agree with some parts of this analysis. But the

> author blows it in the very first sentence, suggesting that the

> announcements by HBO and CBS will allow access to this content

> " without the burden of a pay TV subscription."

The article is written for an audience that thinks you need to pay for "the
bundle" in order to get the main TV networks. The US TV public has been
conditioned to think that way, and even the manufacturers of Internet TV
platforms, such as Roku and AppleTV, are evidently paid by someone to keep up
these appearances.

So sure, for this type of individual, it does make sense that now you can get
the CBS content you really want by only paying a subscription for that.

I agree with what they say about the rest, though. I especially agree with
statements like this:

"... but HBO has put some checks and balances in place that could minimize the
impact, at least initially."

Specifically, the "at least initially" part. It's so funny how many of these
trade scribes seem to resist the idea of a trend.

For example:

> No doubt some people will get by with a few OTT subscriptions, as

> is the case today with many Millennials. All I am trying to point out

> is that these new "breakthrough" offerings do not threaten the

> extended basic bundle;

Of COURSE they do, Craig. What compels you to say otherwise? Once again,
remember how you kept insisting that HDTV was supposed to only be a "niche
service"? Maybe I will repeat that analogy every time you repeat this bit about
your sacrosanct "bundle."

Consumers change their behaviors, and the content owners are smart enough to
notice. That is what's happening here. Naturally, content owners will try to
hang on to the old formula, while they introduce the new options. It is exactly
the same as ANY OTHER market transition.