[opendtv] Re: Court Tosses FCC's 'Net Neutrality' Rules

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2014 08:29:32 -0500

> On Jan 16, 2014, at 6:15 PM, "Manfredi, Albert E"
> <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> It was always true that those with deep pockets can distribute more and
> better, over the Internet, Craig.

Yup. But the deep pockets I am talking about are the ones who are currently
unable to break the existing content and distribution oligopolies. Companies
like Amazon, Apple and Google, or to a more limited extent, Intel and Microsoft
(although it looks like Intel has already given up on TV).

In the end it may take a big pile of cash to cause real disruption, and these
companies have proven they can manage major disruption, often without the need
to make a "direct" profit, if it enhances another part of their business.

> .So, what you called "cannibalizing the MVPD business model" is very much
> like the airline industry "cannibalizing" the stagecoach and railroad
> business models. Stuff happens.

Yes, stuff happens, but the current oligopolies are not as vulnerable as your
examples because they control large chunks of the new Internet infrastructure,
and enjoy significant political/regulatory advantage.

> Of course, those with deep pockets will be better able to deploy content on
> the Internet (see also the IETF draft document I sent). Everything costs
> money. The huge difference is, there can be any number of such deep pockets,
> sharing the same Internet, as long as the Internet remains neutral.

Much remains to play out with respect to maintaining neutrality. What is clear
is that content will be monetized, and we're not just talking about
commercials, or paying to avoid the ads.