[opendtv] Re: Court Tosses FCC's 'Net Neutrality' Rules

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2014 00:52:46 +0000

Oh, I should have added another mechanism the high volume sites can use, and
negotiate accordingly with the ISPs. We already spoke at length about this,
Craig. The TV content distribution interests can offer to deploy those mirrored
servers strategically, within ISP networks, at the content owner's or OTT
site's expense. Doing that mitigates the core network capacity required for
these streams.

Yes, this costs money too. Just like having broadcast towers costs money. Just
like having to deploy cables and trucks, and make house calls, costs money to
the traditional cable or DBS service. But the costs associated with providing
that extra capacity are now borne more directly by the particular TV service,
responsible for the servers, and this creates less of an impact to the ISP.

Again: a potential new role for local broadcasters.

And still, the conglom's site or the OTT site would not have to make any house
calls to individual customers. And the standard medium is used for way more
than just the TV aspect.