[opendtv] Re: Could be embarrassing...

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 10:49:06 -0400

I doubt that NTSC is "more reliable" than ATSC M/H. It is probably more reliable than ATSC, especially when compared to earlier tuners.

I've watched my fair share of portable NTSC and other than the fact that you could almost always hear the audio, it pretty much stunk as an entertainment source, especially when mobile. Snow, ghosting, interference, chroma unlock, etc. If you wanted to put up with the imparities, then it would work, but today's cable generation probably wouldn't.

However, even plain vanilla DVB-T works fairly well portable and mobile. DVB-H only makes it more so. ATSC doesn't work at all mobile, and ATSC M/H is required to make it so.

John

----- Original Message ----- From: "Craig Birkmaier" <craig@xxxxxxxxx>

Makes sense. We wouldn't want consumers to find out that good old NTSC may be more reliable as a mobile delivery technology than ATSC MH...