[opendtv] Re: Costco

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 16:29:50 -0500

Bob Miller wrote:

> Of 22 display units or TV sets of all kinds at Costco
> today, didn't look at computer monitor combos, only
> three had on board DTV receivers.
>
> Everytime I look the number drops. When asked if they
> sold OTA DTV receivers I received a blank stare. Can't
> find the category on their web site.

That's always frustrating.

But if you go to their web site, under flat panel TVs,
you will notice a healthy assortment of sets with
built-in ATSC receiver and, more interestingly, that
ALREADY the price no longer seems to reflect whether or
not ATSC is built in.

There are 32" LCD sets with ATSC that cost less than
HDTV-Ready sets.

Philips 32" integrated for $1399,
Dell 32" integrated for $1499
Samsung 32" HDTV-Ready for $1499,
Sony 32" HDTV-Ready for $1699.

Sceptre 37" integrated for $1599 (1080p)
Maxent 37" HDTV-Ready for $1499.

And so on. It seems the display technology is the only
thing that differentiates pricer anymore. Plasmas cost
more than LCDs, usually.

As for HDTV STBs, look under accessories. They sell the
Humax HFA-100 for $199 (which is basically like the
Accurian, with RGB outputs additional).

If you don't see these products in stores, one should
wonder why. And also, wonder why anyone would think COFDM
would make a difference.