[opendtv] Cost of HBO over MVPDs

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2015 00:15:00 +0000

Craig continues to insist that the slimmed down $50 option for HBO was "always"
available on MVPDs.

Stubborn on this too. On Comcast, at least, for HBO and Internet, people had to
pay more than twice what Craig claims. I assume the other MVPDs were much the
same, or there wouldn't have been any big fanfare about the slimmed down MVPD
bundles, with HBO and Internet, suddenly appearing last year on so many MVPDs.

Okay, so once again, please refer to this article. This article is from Feb
2013, i.e. BEFORE the slimmed down packages were available.

Plenty of people complaining that they only want HBO, and have to pay a bundle
for it.

The most precise post is from Rococo, who only wants HBO in HD and Internet.
Two years ago, he had to pay 3 times what Craig claims, after three years, and
twice the amount on the first year. There was no slimmed down bundle with HBO,
Craig.

---------------Quoting------------------
I just talked to a Comcast representative to see if they could offer me
anything better than my current package and thought you and your readers might
be interested to read what they offered. Hope the length is not annoyingly
long. Short answer is (with internet) at least $100 a month for year 1, at
least $130 a month for year 2, and at least $155 a month for year 3. Just to
get HBO in HD and internet.

Nishant: Hi, You have reached the Customer Order Fulfillment Team. I will be
more than happy to assist you further. How are you doing today?

Guest: Hi, I am thinking of switching from a different cable company.

Nishant: Great!

Guest: The only thing I am interested in is medium speed Internet and getting
HBO in HD, what is the minimum package and cost to get access to that?

Nishant: Alright.
Nishant: As I understand you are interested in Digital Starter & Performance
Internet.Am I correct?

Guest: If that's the minimum to get HBO in HD then yes

Nishant: In this package you will get "Over 80 digital channels.Download music,
share photos, and stream video clips at super fast speeds. "
Nishant: I would like to inform you that You will not get HBO or HD box free of
cost in this package.

Guest: But I have to get the package in order to then get HBO and an HD box
right right?

Nishant: Yes, you can get that.But HBO will cost you $10/month fir 12 months
and HD DVR will cost you $16.95/month.

Nishant: May I have your first and last name, phone number and email id as I
can not see it in your order details?

Guest: I'm really just interested in pricing the package that I have to get so
I can compare it to other cable companies so i can get the best price before I
make a decision

Nishant: Please allow me moment.

Guest: So far it looks like $26.95 per month plus the cost of digital starter &
internet

Nishant: Yes.

Guest: and what is the cost for the digital starter and internet package?

Nishant: Digital Starter with Performance internet will cost you $69.99/month
for 1-12 months and $89.99/month for 13-24 months and $115/month after 24
months + taxes.

Guest: So for the first 12 months for what I want I will be paying 96.95 per
month plus taxes and fees

Nishant: Yes.

Guest: for year 2 it will cost 129.95 per month plus taxes and fees

Guest: for year 3 it would be $155 per month plus taxes and fees

Guest: to get internet and hbo in hd

Guest: thanks very much for the information

Nishant: Would you like to go for this package?

Guest: not likely

Nishant: Alright.

Guest: I appreciate your time though

Since everyone commenting on that article was complaining about the same thing,
who do I tend to believe?