[opendtv] Re: Cord-Cutters Gobble Down The Bits: Sandvine Study | Multichannel

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 May 2014 21:08:03 +0000

Craig Birkmaier posted:

http://www.multichannel.com/news/technology/cord-cutters-gobble-down-bits-sandvine-study/374551

Interesting stats, but a little unfair when it says, at the top, "While it's no
surprise that consumers who have cut the cord tend to devour more
than their fair share of the bandwidth, ..."

Fair share??

I'm not sure how today's PONs and passive coax networks are architected, but I
would bet a pretty penny that there are still a whole lot more 6 MHz channels
allocated to MPEG-2 TS broadcast streams, and to MPEG-2 TS proprietary VOD
service, than there are to DOCSIS. This applies to cable/ISP nets and to FiOS.
Obviously not to ADSL, though.

Funny thing is, back in the days when broadband first became available over
cable networks, and ADSL, my preference was to keep broadband classified as
information service. Because (a) that would keep costs down, and (b) none of
the broadband providers had shown any hint of non-neutral service.

Things change. TV streaming was still uncommon even by the mid 2000s, so a
conflict of interest problem had not manifested yet. Now that it has, ta-da,
the to-be-expected happened. A shame.