[opendtv] Re: Cord cutting and cord shaving

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2014 02:15:10 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> As the other article I just posted notes, the loss in viewers is in
> the range of 2-3%.

As my daughter used to say when she was just starting to speak, "Oh sure, you
would say that."

Articles written by mouthpieces of the cable industry can be expected to bend
the truth. The two articles I posted, instead, got their data from the WSJ,
which I think may be a tad more objective.

And what it says is that the 4.5 percent cable cutters in 2010 grew to 6.5
percent. I'll avoid the question as to whether or not this includes "cable
nevers," by only considering 2010 to today.

The Fiercecable.com article points out, using WSJ numbers, something often not
mentioned: of the remaining subscribers, let's call that 81 percent of
households now, 12 percent have a bare-bones, no extended bundle, no ESPN, not
TNT, no Food Network, subscriptions.

To me, that says that from 2010 to this past month (forget about the beginning
of this year), "the bundle" has lost 2 percent (total cable cutters) plus .81 *
12 percent of US households. The latter being households with bare bones
packages.

If these WSJ numbers are accurate, "the bundle" lost 11.72 percent of
subsidizing US households, Craig, from 2010 to now. Hardly anything to sneeze
at. Remember that John Skipper said a 10 percent drop would be enough to cause
big changes at ESPN?

That's was the point of these latest numbers. To just look at "cord cutters"
missed the bigger picture.