[opendtv] Re: Cord Cutting? Sling TV Is a Great Concept, Just Not Ready For Prime Time Yet - TheStreet

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2015 00:46:21 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

>> So, are you going to insist to them too that Sling is NOT another OTT
>> site?
>
> Not sure what you are saying here.

I'm saying the author of that article classified Sling as an OTT site.

> Clearly Sling is a VMVPD service delivered via the Internet.

Are you going to argue the point with the author of that article you posted?

> By your definition, anything delivered via the Internet is an OTT site;
> this may well be true, but it does not mean that all OTT sites are the
> same and compete with one another.

My definition of VMVPD is a site that emulates the MVPD bundle and tier model
AS IS. You have acknowledged, more than once, that MVPDs carry essentially the
same choices, at the same price, to households in neighborhoods they serve.
Which makes some sense, given that they are local monopolies (or certainly were
in their initial years, and even now, there are way less than a handful of
options in any location).

An Internet TV site that does not use this formula, by my definition, and
evidently that of the author of the article you posted, is an OTT site.

No, OTT sites do not need to offer the same choices as other OTT site. The
reason is simple. Internet sites are available to everyone, irrespective of
neighborhood or local county boundaries.

Dish made a really smart decision. They already carry the legacy MVPD model on
the satellite signal, available nationwide (more or less). So now, let's try
something new, to exploit this Internet medium, without legacy constraints.

And wouldn't you know it, Verizon is about to do a "me too."