[opendtv] Copy protection for home recording

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 11:48:48 -0400

Not sure what this involves. One possibility is that if I record
a program direct to digital, I will only be able to play it back
on the same machine? Okay for time shifting, not okay for
archiving.

I assume that the HP/Philips scheme and the Thomson scheme are
not compatible with each other, which suggests that my guess
above might be close?

Bert

---------------------------------------
HP, Philips gain FCC approval on content protection
By Spencer Chin , EE Times
August 05, 2004 (11:17 AM EDT)

MANHASSET, N.Y. - Hewlett-Packard and Philips announced that their
video content protection system (VCPS), formerly called Vidi, has
received approval from the United States Federal Communications
Commission (FCC) and will be offered to manufacturers through a
license program.

VCPS-enabled products will allow consumers to record video from
digital television (DTV) broadcasts under the FCC's Broadcast Flag
regulation. VCPS is designed to be used with DVD+R, DVD+RW and
DVD+R DL optical discs.

The Hewlett-Packard and Philips announcement comes a day after
Thomson received FCC approval to employ its SmartRight digital
content protection system. The activity indicates electronics
suppliers are scrambling to protect their technology investments
as they seek to meet future standards.

As of July 1, 2005, FCC regulations will require manufacturers of
digital television devices, including digital video recorders, to
use FCC-approved content protection technology.

Copyright 2003 CMP Media