[opendtv] Re: Controversial VMAs puts fresh spotlight on the Television Consumer Freedom Act

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2013 23:22:42 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> Unfortunately, the ability to access many forms of content - like the FSU
> vs Pitt game last night - are limited to those who endure the MVPD business
> model.

> There ought be a law...

There is. It's called grow a spine.

Honestly, these problems are caused only by consumers who willingly cave in,
like slobbering puppy dogs, to the service providers' requests. Look at the
article on CBS vs Time Warner Cable. It's really hard for me to say that either
of those two parties is the bad guy. The consumers are the bad guys. They
ruined it for everyone.

Take a look at Al Jazeera. They learned their greed lesson well. They used to
have both FOTA and FOTI streams of live news, 24 hours a day. Now, with much
ballyhoo, they created this Al Jazeera America, eliminated their FOTI live
stream, and they are no longer available FOTA either. Wow. What a huge
improvement, eh?

I wrote them a note. I said, do you really think I'll get an MVPD subscription
just to watch Al Jazeera? Think again.

There is supposed to be a natural balance. I can guarantee you one thing. If
all MVPDs suddenly went out of business, owners of good content would not go
out of business. They would quickly find other media to get their content out.
This was always true, but it is especially so now that we have the Internet
capable of carrying TV. Bundles are created by consumers with no spine.