[opendtv] Re: Controversial VMAs puts fresh spotlight on the Television Consumer Freedom Act

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2013 09:35:13 -0400

Unfortunately, changing the channel - I.e. not watching - does not change the
underlying economics of bundling. It looks like CBS just pushed their retrans
fees for Time Warner well past $1 per month.

The article was really about the bill that McCain has introduced to force ala
carte on the MVPDs. Events like the MTV awards show can help focus attention on
the fact that MVPD subscribers are forced to financially support this crap; but
the article's conclusion is the same:

The bill does not stand a chance of passing.