[opendtv] Re: Content Distribution Getting Cloudy (DECE UltraViolet)

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 14:42:09 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

>> And this is different from viewing content on a server in the
>> network?
>
> Absolutely!
>
> Want to watch an episode of a new show that aired last week on ABC, NBC,
> CBS or Fox - a show that a friend told you about that you DID NOT
> record...

Once again, that's simply a matter of the creativity of the PVR software
designer, or just your own ingenuity. A PVR software designer should have no
trouble writing software that auto-selects and records shows based on your
preferences, AUTOMATICALLY.

Or even more simply, it is trivially simple to buy four separate PVRs, or two
that have dual tuners, and set them up to record *all* prime time
ABC/NBC/CBS/Fox shows, every single day. Just auto-record from 8:00 PM to 11:00
PM daily. And then, whenever you get around to it, watch what you want and blow
away the rest.

This does what you're asking for, with the most basic PVRs, and it does NOT
require you to do anything about channel or schedule. You just watch what you
want, when you want.

And too, servers in the cloud often DO NOT have the show you want, for many
days after it was initially aired, or sometimes not at all. So this "cloud"
business is overrated anyway.

FYI, even way back in the 1980s, my father-in-law had two VCRs in his system,
for exactly this reason. He recorded different channels simultaneously, then
went to his "VCR cloud" to decide what to watch.

There are no big differences here, Craig, other than volume of choice.