[opendtv] Re: Content Distribution Getting Cloudy (DECE UltraViolet)

  • From: Albert Manfredi <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2010 18:16:31 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> It's a huge physical difference Bert. You can only record
> what is offered by the CHANNELS you can receive. Services
> such as Netflix and Apple TV allow you to search through
> growing libraries of content that is available on demand.

Netflix and Apple TV also ONLY offer what they have decided to transmit to
their servers, Craig. It's no "huge" difference at all, except in degree.
Obviously choice over Internet services will be greater, because in essence,
the Internet cloud can incorporate the equivalent of multiple thousands or
millions of DVRs like the one you might have at home.

This is apart from any notions of "channel" or "schedule." That content arrived
to those servers over specific "Internet sessions" (channels) and at a specific
time (schedule).

[OTA multicasts]

> It is still syndicated programming that constitutes a
> channel that has a schedule.

Oh? So, do you call the Discovery Channel or HBO, on your cable system,
"syndicated programming"? Do you call live streaming over the Internet
"syndicated programming"? These multicasts are independent networks that offer
programming OTA, precisely the same as they do over DBS and precisely the same
as they do when streaming over the Internet. And the "brand identification"
with the primary stream is typically nonexistent, as I demonstrated to you wrt
ThisTV. If anything, you identify with a *pipe*, like WDCA-DT or WBFF-DT, not
with The CW Network or Fox.

[How programming must be sent to servers in the Internet cloud too.]

> You are really digging the hole deeper now Bert. This is nothing
> more than the process by which the content is put into the cloud...

Duh. And that's the same "process" that gets content into my PVR at home. This
constant reference to "linear programming" and "TV by appointment" sounds like
someone who just crawled out of a cave after 30 years.