[opendtv] Re: Consolidated replies

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2014 02:25:28 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> Let's not confuse terminology here. Yes, there are all kinds of
> bundles out there.

Correct. And the numerous articles I've been posting have all called such
bundles "bundles." I've posted these articles to make that point. You seem to
have a much narrower definition of the term, which has caused some confusion.

> But it is the Extended Basic tier where the real money is made
> by the content owners, and the MVPDs to a lesser extent.

Of course, we all know that the main TV networks, which are part of this
specific bundle you mention, are already offering their content direct to
consumer, FOTI, and have been doing so for years. So part of that bundle has
already crumbled. (Not for live, but most of the time, people prefer VOD
anyway!!)

> For HBO it is an imperative.
>
> For ESPN it would destroy their business model, built around
> their anchor position in the extended basic bundle.

Well, you can see a whole lot of pundits out there who see that coming,
instead. It won't "destroy" anything AT ALL for ESPN. What you seem to resist
is the notion that ESPN can make more money if they increase the flexibility in
how they get content out there, than if they allow their competition to inflate
prices to those who are only sports fans.

> HBO does not equal ESPN

Yes, it does, if you can make yourself see that to the consumer there's no
difference. A consumer couldn't care less what narrow definition of "bundle"
you might use. The consumer simply sees higher and higher monthly fees, and all
he wants is some narrow slice of what cable is gushing down the line.

> Please tell me where I can buy ESPN 1-3, Fox News, Discovery,
> History Channel, and Sun Sports (a Fox sports network) ala
> carte.

No problem. That's what all these articles are talking about, Craig. The way
things are headed, even for the channels in your narrowly defined bundle.