[opendtv] Consolidated replies

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2014 00:08:47 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> Sorry Bert, buy if you must pay for the content it is walled. It does
> not matter how many sources there are yo BUY that program.

Nonsense, and you should know that. An outlet that is a monopoly has a lot more
latitude in the prices it can charge, than competing outlets that sell the same
products. This is fundamental, Craig. Once again, the most obvious, first order
reason would be markup. And there are more reasons why.

> You must still pay the oligopolies for access to the Internet

You must pay the still monopolistic local MVPD/ISPs, yes, but not the congloms.
That's why Title II may just have to be the way to go. We've already been over
this.

>> Internet distribution of TV allows this multiple supermarket model
>> to work for TV too. The MVPD model DOES NOT.
>
> Not if every new service has to pay the same monthly subscriber fees
> to offer the content, AND ONLY OFFER THEM IN A BUNDLE.

Once again, Craig enjoys arguing in circles. We've been around this circle
countless times, Craig. You will need to take it up directly with Bewkes,
Skipper, and Moonves, to name just three. As I've indicated on MULTIPLE
occasions, it is these content owners/rights holders who decide how their
business models have to evolve, and they have ALREADY SPOKEN. Forget what the
FCC mandates about giving access to content for those emulating the MVPD model.
What matters is what the owners of content and rights holders want to do, no
matter what Craig might prefer.

>> But when Skipper talks about direct to consumer, when Bewkes talks
>> about direct to consumer, when Moonves talks about direct to consumer,
>> they all mean that they will offer ESPN, HBO, Viacom programming
>> without a bunch of totally unrelated channels.
>
> NO THEY DO NOT. YOU are putting words in their mouths.

Oh for pete's sake. Go back to the Forbes article I posted on Oct 8:

"Bewkes was talking about moving from selling HBO through cable and satellite
companies **to a direct-to-consumer model**: 'The broadband-only opportunity up
until now wasn't ... at the point where it would be smart to move the focus
from one to the other.'"

What do you think that means, Craig??

"Les Moonves, the head of CBS, was asked about **taking Showtime direct** and
Deadline reported him saying this: 'Everybody in the media business is thinking
about what is the most appropriate way to market your product ... Is there some
time in the future when that could happen? Absolutely. I don't know when that
is ... Over the next three to five years, the business will change
dramatically.'"

What do you think that means, Craig?? What does "everyone in the media
business" mean to you, Craig? What does "the business will change dramatically
in the next three to five years" mean to you, Craig? Business as usual? In the
TV Week article, Moonves went beyond JUST mentioning Showtime direct. Go back
and try to retain these points.

> So Bert, here is a bundle from Cox that includes ONLY local HD
> channels Internet and both HBO, HBO Go and Starz.

That's pretty funny, Craig, because even this new offering, to compete against
Netflix, consists of a bundle. They even use that word. Amazing how you could
have missed it. This includes HBO and Starz and it looks like other VOD content
that is besides HBO and Starz. Plus, it may not even include all of the OTA
offerings. They only mention the HD channels. Read again, to see what you must
have missed:

"Bundle for one, low price: Internet Preferred + Cox TV + HBO + Starz

"All your local HD channels, interactive on-screen guide, 45 channels of
commercial-free digital quality music, access to OnDEMAND movies available same
day as DVD release, and original programming you can't get with Netflix or Hulu
Plus

"HBO and Starz are included at no extra cost. Online programming with 1,700
hours from HBO Go and 400 hours from STARZ Play"

So once again, Craig, cut to the chase. In addition to your broadband fee, what
does this bundle cost? And how does that compare to the $8 of Netflix or the
$10 for HBO direct, estimated in a previous article I posted? Find that number,
then maybe you'll understand the difference.