[opendtv] Re: Connected classrooms

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2013 18:55:31 -0500

Bert,

I'm with Dan on this one. I work at a university and trust me, Skype is fine for talking to Grandma, but it isn't set up for a true teaching experience, unless that experience is exclusively a talking head lecture with no power point presentation, and limited interaction between the two parties.

True H.323 videoconferencing, with a dedicated processor like those offered by Polycom, is the only way to truly have a meaningful learning experience. (There are always exceptions, I know, but generally speaking.)

Skype has it's place in the classroom, but it's use is very limited and limiting.

John

----- Original Message ----- From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>

Dan Grimes wrote:

But it isn't exactly a cheap affair.  It requires a computer, PTZ
camera, graphics controller/image processor, projector, sound
system, and control system to control all the components.  We
easily spend $150K on a "high-tech" classroom.  And with Skype all
you get is two connected points, not a broadcast.

Geez, Dan. You can easily set up a classroom with PC, PC ausio system, projector, and camera/mike combination for less than $2K, and that would be a one-time expense. Of course, you can always go for broke and do something really fancy. I have a great zoom camera and mike combination at home. The camera system only cost IIRC $50, more or less.