[opendtv] Re: Connected classrooms

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2013 23:25:15 +0000

Dan Grimes wrote:

> But it isn't exactly a cheap affair.  It requires a computer, PTZ
> camera, graphics controller/image processor, projector, sound
> system, and control system to control all the components.  We
> easily spend $150K on a "high-tech" classroom.  And with Skype all
> you get is two connected points, not a broadcast.

Geez, Dan. You can easily set up a classroom with PC, PC ausio system,
projector, and camera/mike combination for less than $2K, and that would be a
one-time expense. Of course, you can always go for broke and do something
really fancy. I have a great zoom camera and mike combination at home. The
camera system only cost IIRC $50, more or less.

Like the guy said, ultimately, a teacher could use his/her smartphone to run
the Skype session. Then all you need is a projector.

And with this setup, you can do the one-on-one class session, interactively
with the instructor, or you can do the non-interactive one-to-many lectures,
perhaps even IP multicast to multiple schools and classrooms.

The two techniques each have their advantages and disadvantages, which are
identical to what you see in real classrooms. Which is to say, when you have
huge classrooms, e.g. Freshman and Sophomore years, the school then compensates
by providing much smaller recitation sessions, with grad students at the helm.
When you have smaller classroom sizes, typically Junior and Senior years, no
more recitation sessions needed. Same tradeoff here.