[opendtv] Re: Connected classrooms

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2013 10:54:31 -0500

At 12:38 AM +0000 3/13/13, Manfredi, Albert E wrote:

When I was going to school, our profs repeated many times that anything we learned there would be obsolete in just a few years. They were spot on. So the question is, how do you stay useful? Decades of evening courses? Maybe good for some, but there are much easier ways now, as long as you're self motivated.

As I indicated previously, the greatest benefit of my college education was learning HOW to Learn and HOW to interact professionally with others. When needed, knowledge is instantly available today...

If you know where to look.

Online education, including forums like OpenDTV and equivalents on Linked In and other professional portals play a significant role in "continuing education."

Then again, some people just learn by doing, as I did by becoming a home brewer, which led to becoming a professional brewer. Ironically, I am now looking toward online education to provide access to more advanced information that will be needed as our business grows.