[opendtv] Re: Connected classrooms

  • From: "Leonard Caillouet" <lcaillo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2013 05:44:59 -0400

The people on this group largely share the skill of being able to solve a
problem.  That involves first understanding what the problem is and THEN
deciding upon a strategy, gathering the resources, using what is reasonably
available, doing the work, and validating what you have done.  You all do it
every day and as second nature without thinking about it.

This discussion, like many with regard to education, starts by arguing
strategy and resources.  A good educator instinctively takes the student's
context and what they need or might be able to learn and then works with
what they have much like you do.  Our educational system, however, applies a
method, and whatever resources legislatures have appropriated, and attempt
to fit most learners into a similar black box.

The best educators know that you have to clearly define your objectives,
then work with what you have to solve the problem in the context of the
learner.  Just like you all do.  The technology is not a solution nor is
lack of it a significant hindrance to innovation.  It is just another tool
in the box.  These days, it is so pervasive that the cost is not significant
for most applications of technology.  The same problems remain.  What needs
to be learned and how to best engage the learner to get it done?   Tech has
just given us more tools in the box.

Leonard Caillouet
Gainesville, FL