[opendtv] Re: Connected classrooms

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 00:10:46 +0000

Leonard Caillouet wrote:

> Currently, I train providers on the use of very complex
> electronic medical record systems that are constantly changing.
> We end up using multiple channels of delivery, including
> interactive e-learning (very time consuming and costly to
> develop), self-directed online scenario based workflow
> education (somewhat less costly but also limited in
> effectiveness), streaming interactive webcasts and subsequent
> recordings (effective for small quantity of content such as
> updates and cheap), and traditional didactic classroom
> education (essential for interaction, guided practice, and
> context that cannot be effected otherwise).

Back in the dark ages, when I was in high school, our school started
experimenting with what must have been the earliest examples of "self-directed
online scenario based workflow education," if I'm understanding what this
means. In math, physics, and English. The math courses were called SMSG. You
got a book that allowed individuals to progress on their own, very structured,
very well organized. The lesson and the exercises were completely blended
together.

I loved it. Learned linear algebra and trig that way. The books were still
essentially manuscripts, yellow hard-stock covers, so this was early days. I
would think that sort of approach would work really well on a PC.

The English course was similar, invented by a prof who also happened to be the
husband of our English teacher. Stapled manuscripts.

I'm sure that individuals vary as to what teaching methods work best for them,
but I found these structured courses excellent. Easily beating an average or
below average teacher, to get the information across.

Now at work we get a barrage of what must be "interactive e-learning (very time
consuming and costly to develop)," every year, for all manner of topics we need
to be familiar with. They do seem expensive to create. The nice thing about
them is, you can do them on your own time, and you can usually fast-forward to
the quiz at the end, by paging quickly through the instruction screens. Can
save huge amounts of time that way. Like, I recently had to take two courses, 2
hours each they said, in perhaps 10 minutes each. The time to take the quiz.

I'm all for searching for better teaching methods.