[opendtv] Re: Connected classrooms

  • From: Cliff Benham <flyback1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2013 19:06:52 -0500

Why does this surprise you?
At NPR, EVERYTHING always costs A LOT OF MONEY. [Shh. Don't blow it for us with your talk of how cheap it is,
we have to keep up the big front...]

On 3/4/2013 5:04 PM, Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
Yesterday I was listening to a program on NPR about distance learning from connected
classrooms, in high schools primarily. <--->

The host of the show kept talking about the huge expense of such setups. The guest
was trying to explain that the expense isn't so huge, and that btw the kids use that
same technology when they go home at night. He said that the main problem was that
the adults don't understand the technology. <--->

For example, he said, all it would take is for the teacher to connect his/her
smartphone to a projector, and run the Skype session from the smartphone (not ideal,
but he was trying to make a point). <--->

Why do I bother with this? Because it sounded to me SO MUCH like the supposed
problems of setting up Internet TV. Amazing how something so simple can be
blown out of proportion. And then people wonder why government can't get its
act together. Consider that the government consists of those same adults, who
think Skype classrooms are a huge expense.

Bert

WOW!!!!! You took the words right out of my mouth.

While most of what I'm going to write took place before your arrival on this list, do you realize that HDTV could have been implemented for soooo much less money than has been spent? The best and cheapest COMPATIBLE WITH NTSC system was invented right in Princeton, N.J. at Sarnoff Labs. RCA Advanced Compatible television could be received as a 4:3 picture by any NTSC TV set with no converter boxes or new antennas.

It's major advantage over the other 22 of the various proposed ways to transmit digitally was that when the receiving antennas bend and shake in the wind, you can still get a weather report on the storm.
Not so with digital.
Put THAT in your Fukinuki Hole!

http://books.google.com/books?id=aGemCpMkWaEC&pg=PA246&lpg=PA246&dq=who+is+Dr.+Fukinuki?&source=bl&ots=xIwG7GLANn&sig=POo8zUBQJgGaU6jG_dlPeIGLtts&hl=en&sa=X&ei=2DE1UdHSNefV0gGetYDQCg&ved=0CC0Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=who%20is%20Dr.%20Fukinuki%3F&f=false

The whole conversion to digital television was promoted not to improve the images received at home but to make tons of money by selling all new digital equipment that obsoleted all the analog gear. Just check eBay to find great bargains on Tektronix, Grass Valley, Sony, Panasonic and broadcast equipment manufacturers NTSC gear for hundreds, not thousands of dollars each.

Save the 'many more channels available with digital' argument for those who sit and flip channels endlessly because there is nothing worth watching on TV these days.

Not only is the content trash but maybe one of the 6 programs in a given multiplex is 'higher' definition than all the others. Cable and Fiber and Satellite all dumb down the definition so they can squeeze more channels and claim they are offering more programs. Junk programs.

What a rip!

Cliff Benham