[opendtv] Confusion about MPEG-4 AVC within MPEG-2 TS

  • From: "Prashant Desai" <prashant.desai@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 12:29:14 +0530

Hello All
   thanks a lot to all of the members on this lists ,   for all the help &
guidence that you guys have provided to me ,  i would like to know following
things WRT MPEG-4 Part to and MPEG-2

1)  We came to know from few companies thats are dealing in the MPEG domain that
  MPEG-4  Part 10  content can be transported  over IP  by encapsulating  the
same with in the MPEG-2 transport stream ,  is this true ?   if  it's true then
 please guide me on

To decode this MPEG-4 Part 10 content which is encapsulated with in the MPEG-2
TS  do we require both MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 part 10 decoder on the IP Set Top BOX
?    if so
 then do we need to pay for the royalty for both MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 part 10  ?
for the content etc ?

2)  what are the other options to transport MPEG-4 Part 10 content over IP
transport ?  apart from encapsulating it within the MPEG-2 TS ?  cant we
directly transport it over IP  without using MPEG-2 TS  ?

3)  As far as the service provider of IPTV is concern i  think MPEG-4 licensing
is far more cheaper compared to the MPEG-2  ,  is this statement true or false
?  why ?  what are things that service provider is required to considered while
estimating the cost of deployment thats related to MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 part 10

regards,
Prashant Desai