[opendtv] Re: Comparison of H.264 with MPEG-2

  • From: "Donald Koeleman" <donald.koeleman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 15:46:32 +0200

At IBC I saw a few mpeg2 to avc transcoding demos, one was at 3.5 mbit/s
transcoding to 2.1, If I remember correctly the others were also using
simillar bitrates, and even a rather untrained eye such as mine could
clearly see the difference. The AVC image of lower quality, with more
clearly noticable blurring of the background and loss of contrast/detail in
the objects in focus as well.

Of course this is transcoding and not two seperate compression runs from a
clean high quality source.

Donald