[opendtv] Re: Comparison of H.264 with MPEG-2

  • From: John McClenny <jamcclenny@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 22:04:46 -0500

Not at all scientific, but looking at first generation SD Realtime encoders
for H.264, 4 Mb/s MPEG-2 looks "about" the same as 2.5 Mb/s H.264. Yeah, I
don't have a trained eye - I know....
The expectation is that the encoder compression will improve rapidly as they
turn on more features once the software gets stable. "They" expect to be
down to about 1.8 or 1.9 Mb/s for the same quality in the next 9 months. I
think that is a litle aggressive.

HD is harder and the early stuff we are seeing is at 10 Mb/s. Not bad, but
not as good as the full bandwidth MPEG-2.

Again, I am a middleware guy, so what do I know about video :).

Doc McClenny