[opendtv] Re: Company Claims to Have Solved White Space Interference Problem

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 19:24:49 -0600

John Shutt wrote:

> I agree that the author was not writing engineering specs, nor
> was the intended audience product designers.

It looks like Ofcom is, indeed, using the same definition of "white spaces" as
the FCC's defintion, as you had concluded. Luckily for them, though, they seem
are a little more skeptical than our FCC about proper operation of an
auto-detection feature. They seem interested in the geolocation mode, which as
far as I'm concerned, is the most promising route (unless one doesn't care
about OTA TV, of course).

This just in.

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/media/news/2009/11/nr_20091117a

17|11|09

Ofcom investigates potential for new wireless communications technology

Ofcom today published a discussion document to explore the potential of a new
technology that could wirelessly link up different devices and offer enhanced
broadband access in rural areas.

The technology works by searching for unoccupied radio waves called "white
spaces" between TV channels to transmit and receive wireless signals.

Compared with other forms of wireless technology, such as Bluetooth and WiFi,
white-space devices are being designed to use lower frequencies that have
traditionally been reserved for TV. Signals at these frequencies travel further
and more easily through walls.

This will potentially allow a new wave of technological innovation in wireless
communications. Although at least three years away from commercial production,
possible applications include improved mobile broadband access in rural areas;
digital cameras that can automatically transmit photos back to your computer as
soon as you click the shutter; and the ability to control appliances in your
home - such as the oven and central heating - hundreds of miles away.

However, white space devices must first prove they can operate without
interfering with TV broadcasts and other wireless technologies that share these
frequencies, such as wireless microphones. A promising solution is for devices
to do this is by consulting a "geolocation database" that contains live
information about which frequencies are free to use at their current location.

Ofcom's discussion document focuses on the issues that need to be addressed for
this solution to work. If there is strong evidence to show that white space
devices can coexist with neighbouring TV signals and wireless microphones
without causing interference, then Ofcom would allow them to use the
frequencies without the need for individual licences.

Professor William Webb, Head of Research and Development at Ofcom, said: "White
space devices have the potential to enable a vast range of new and innovative
applications - from broadband access for rural communities, to innovative
personal consumer applications - each benefiting from improved signal
reliability, capacity, and range offered by unused TV frequencies.

"However, this technology remains largely unproven and a significant amount of
work needs to be done before these claims can be tested.

"The purpose of this discussion document is to further the thinking that is
taking place around the world on geolocation and speed the development of
possible solutions."

Ends.