[opendtv] Re: Company?

  • From: "Donald Koeleman" <donald.koeleman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2006 20:59:18 +0200

Hi Larry,

There is plenty coming out of Israel, many by now familliar names, but also
many upstarts (fostered by US VC's), because of the well established
Military Industrial Complex overthere. I could also name no more than two
hands ful of company's of the top of my head so I googled a bit. Most of the
companies I had in mind have already been mentioned since I see.

Since you have so much of this historical stuff, perhaps you know where I
can find some nice pictures of that lovely piece of 70's design the original
Kloss projector, the 'Advent videobeam 1000' introduced in 1972?

This is all I have been able to find on line so far:
http://www.minhembio.com/forum/uploads/av-4931.jpg
http://www.sbbrown.com/advent.jpg
http://www.sbbrown.com/advent%20video%20beam.jpg

cheers,

Donald

Okay, on with the mail I composed earlier on the other account not
registered with opendtv.

Harmonic, yeah very much from Israel, the original fiber communications
business was all Israeli, but expanded into the US before they acquired the
Divicom business and moved into the cable tv systems biz. The same is true
for NDS, which still has some of its most important development division(s)
overthere. News Corp's technology, encryption develloper came out of
millitary/govermenment led, funded, originated research and development
programs, that dominated the sector, like many of Israel's IT,
communications and imaging companies. There are many IT or communications
companies that also border on or have encroached upon the more traditional
broadcasting business.

If you include Gilat the following three may also be added.
RR Satellite
Shiron
Amos/IAI

A few others Runcom www.runcom.com, www.runcom.co.il
VBox Communications Ltd
BitBand Technologies Ltd
Aran Electronics Ltd

An interesting list of companies:
http://www.convergedigest.com/StartupDirectoryX/Israel.asp

And another list of companies participating in the Israeli tarde mission to
the Chinese tradeshow.

http://www.ccbn.tv/detail.asp?id=1185
Leading-Edge TV Broadcast End-to-End System Solution from World-Leading
Isreali Companies in CCBN2006

This year at CCBN we, Israel's Trade Mission to China, are proud to showcase
for your benefit a complete end-to-end system for Cable, IPTV,
Cellular/Mobile, Satellite and Telco Digital TV Broadcasting - all comprised
of leading-edge equipment manufactured and integrated by a consortium of
Israel-based companies, each a world leader in their field of expertise. We
will be showcasing at Hall no. 2, booth no. 2405.

In the system we have:
. SARFT-compliant MPEG Encoding, Multiplexing, Transrating and Decoding from
Scopus Video Networks, supplier for CCTV and other prestigious customers
. DRM from NDS, world leader in content protection for digital Pay-TV
. Video On Demand appliance-server from BitBand, a leading provider of video
delivery over IP solutions
. Middleware for Electronic Program Guides and Interactive Applications from
Orca Interactive
. Video Conference equipment from Emblaze-VCON
. Video and Audio switching, conversion and signal processing from Kramer
Electronics
. IP satellite DTV receiver box from VBox Communications
. Video over coax and IPTV from Israel/China-based CBT (China Broadcasting
Technologies and its subsidiaries in Israel including TMT, Coresma and
others

This system is a blueprint for the future, easily adaptable for today's
fast-changing environment, new standards and regulations and continued
performance optimization and cost control.

In the Digital Video Broadcasting domain alone we count in Israel dozens of
companies in a wide range of expertise: ? ?Scopus, BitBand, Harmonic,
Optibase, Terayon, BigBand, ADI, QOD and others - for professional Headend
and VOD equipment
? ?Orca Interactive, Emblaze-VCON, Infogate and others - for Middleware and
Interactive Applications
? ?NDS for Conditional Access/DRM and Encryption
? VBox, Adimos, Softier and others - for consumer Home Media Gateway and
set-top box technologies
? ?Amdocs - for IPTV billing and customer management systems
? ?Zoran, Intel Israel, Siano, Horizon, NeoMagic and others - for
Semiconductor and ASIC chip design of HDTV, MPEG Decoding, DVD, LCD-TV image
processing, Cellular Phone Video, etc.

And another great list to pick and choose from, msome already mentioned,
some local set-ups by international business, so truely to telco to still
call broadcast, but a good list to start from:
http://www.science.co.il/Telecom-Companies.asp

http://www.matimop.org.il/newrdinf/company/comcom35.htm

http://www.usisraelexchange.com/comp_list.htm

27 Israeli broadband cos meet US counterparts in Atlanta

(Israel Business Arena Via Thomson Dialog NewsEdge)27 Israeli broadband
companies, mostly new start-ups, will meet US communications corporations at
the US-Israel Broadband Business Exchange in Atlanta, organized by the
American Israel Chamber of Commerce Southeast Region.

American Israel Chamber of Commerce president Tom Glaser said, This is
basically a get-to-know-you meeting. He said 600 meetings between
representatives of the Israeli companies and of leading telecommunications
and cable companies in the Western Hemisphere were held within 24 hours. I
hear that at least one Israeli company has reached an understanding with a
US company for a joint venture as a result of the conference,

Participating Israeli companies were Adamind Ltd. (AIM:ADA), AgileCO, Allot
Communications Ltd., Atrica Inc., Axerra Networks Inc., Bitband, CableMatrix
Technologies Inc., Catch Media, Clariton Networks, Compedia, EZArchive,
FiberZone Networks, Ensure Networks (formerly Gaia BSM), Gallery IP
Telephony Inc., GooMe Interactive Ltd., Infogate Online Ltd., Integra5
Communications Ltd., ObjectTV, Orca Interactive Ltd. (AIM:ORCA), PanMedia
Group, PeerApp Inc., Resolute Networks Ltd., Scopus Video Networks Ltd.
(Nasdaq:SCOP), Screenpeaks Ltd., SercoNet, VBox Communications Ltd.,
Visitar, Wavetone Technologies, Wavion Ltd., and Xtend Networks.

Cable Television Laboratories, Inc. (CableLabs) president and CEO Richard
Green said, Israel is one of the most dynamic sources in the world of
high-tech companies, especially in broadband and telecommunications.
Atlanta-based CableLabs is a sponsor of the conference.

Veritas Venture Partners partner Lawrence Olivier said the US government and
US companies knew that Israel was a hothouse of innovation in broadband. We
expect this conference to lead to important relationships.

The US-Israel Broadband Business Exchange, held for the second time,
emphasizes Atlanta's position have the fifth largest concentration of
Israeli high-tech, biotechnology and medical devices companies in the US,
after New York, Silicon Valley, Boston's Route 128, and northern Virginia.

Glaser said 45 Israeli companies were active in greater Atlanta, employing
thousands of workers. These companies include Amdocs Ltd. (NYSE:DOX),
Mercury Interactive Corporation (Pink Sheets:MERQ), Check Point Software
Technologies Ltd. (Nasdaq: CHKP), and Given Imaging Ltd. (Nasdaq: GIVN;
TASE:GIVN). Some Israeli companies are headquartered in Atlanta, while
others maintain R&D centers or regional offices.

5,000 Israelis live in Atlanta, mostly employed by Israeli companies in the
area. Glaser said this was a very mobile community, with many families
spending a few years in Atlanta before returning to Israel.

The heavy business traffic between Israel and Atlanta has not gone unnoticed
by Delta Airlines, which will inaugurate a direct Tel Aviv-Atlanta route in
March. Glaser said this business traffic was a reason for the decision to
launch the route.

Published by Globes [online], Israel business news - www.globes.co.il - on
February 16, 2006

http://www.softier.com H.264 stb's

Talking of h.264 there is of course Moonlight/Elecard.

Donald