[opendtv] Commissioner Adelstein on interactive TV

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 18:53:01 -0400

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-282937A1.pdf

Remarks of Jonathan S. Adelstein
Commissioner, Federal Communications Commission
PointSmart.ClickSafe: Summit on Children's Online Safety and Literacy
June 10, 2008

[ ..... ]

Kids really think they won the prize, and once they are able, will
happily give away all kinds of personal information to get it - their
name, address, age, you name it. In fact, we have highly paid
advertising executives spending countless hours trying to figure out how
to get inside our kids' minds.

[ ... ]

But perhaps the most critical part of the decision - when you think
about its long-term impact - was our tentative conclusion that we should
prohibit interactive advertisements during children's programming. We
agreed unanimously that the TV should not connect viewers to interactive
commercial matter unless parents "opt in" to such services.

[ ... ]

We really need to take a hard look at interactive advertising and
promulgate rules before it becomes an established business model here in
this country.

Now is the time to stop the development of interactive advertising
directed to children dead in its tracks. Digital TV and new interactive
technologies can provide a wealth of opportunities to children and their
parents, but they should not provide wealth to advertisers at the
expense of children and their parents.

The Commission has limited authority to take steps to protect children
in this age of convergence. So wherever we have authority, we need to
act. With our sensible and measured actions, however modest, we can
complement the work you all are doing here. That kind of partnership is
in the best interest of protecting our children. And while that alone
will not fully address the many issues we are discussing today, no
single step will.

[ ... ]