[opendtv] Re: Commentary: Is Internet TV yet another would-be wedding?

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 08:57:19 -0400

At 11:54 AM -0400 8/26/08, Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
Kon Wilms wrote:

 "In contrast, the Widget Channel uses a thin bar along the bottom as a
 default. It's not about browsing -- it's about pushing content."

 A thin bar with pushed content? This is something new? Yawn!

Is this what they meant? I took that to be the thin bar was the default,
and you could then use it to personalize your screen, via remote
control?

Dunno. Certainly, if all you get is a little banner on the bottom, with
some extra content in it, I would be tempted to get rid of it 99 percent
of the time.

Think in terms of the task bar in Windows or the Dock on the Mac. On the Mac the Dock disappears when you are not using it. I already discussed this a few days ago. But Widgets may live on the screen at the discretion of the user. The Dock would simply be the place where you launch them and control their operation. In this the TV and computer are much the same. You want most of the screen space for the work or entertainment you are engaged in. But you may want a small object open on the screen to monitor another event.