[opendtv] Re: Commentary: Be Wary Of FCC's Cash-For-Spectrum Plan

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 05 Nov 2009 10:38:53 -0500

> Let's just say the the media conglomerates are not likely to keep
> propping up the local stations when they can go direct and keep all of
> the subscriber fees and local ad avails.
>
> Regards
> Craig
>
> P.S. I agree with Tom that the best continuing use of spectrum for TV
> broadcasting would be to target mobile devices (which means that a
> lifeline service would still exist for fixed receivers.)

And let's keep in mind that for mobile reception it is not so easy to
bypass local broadcasters as it is to just put the channel on cable
directly.   Though delivering over Internet mobile broadband would also
do it.

I just googled for local TV net news for Gainesville FL and found 2
sites but couldn't make either work, probably due to my own paranoid
browser settings.  But it's coming, just like Internet weather info
which is so common now.

<http://delicast.com/tv/florida>
<http://www.wcjb.com/>