[opendtv] Re: Comment on Mark's Memo

  • From: Bob Miller <bob@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2004 16:38:22 -0500

Manfredi, Albert E wrote:

>Bob Miller wrote:
>

>>Really? The engineers who visited NYC and went with
>>us to Mark Schubin's apartment and who claimed
>>responsibility for the development of the LG 5th
>>generation receiver literally laughed when I asked
>>them if they thought that 8-VSB would ever be capable
>>of mobile. They were definitely not working on it.
>>

>Forgive me for not taking this hype too seriously,
>Bob. I've been hearing about how people "literally
>laugh" at applying 8-VSB to DTT for "literally" years
>now, and it seems clear that the last laugh hasn't
>happened yet. Or haven't you noticed?
>
>Just like reception in severe multipath, just like
>SFN support, mobile reception isn't magic. COFDM has
>the advantage because it naturally has high tolerance
>for echo. This doesn't mean single carrier schemes
>can't compete, with improved receivers.
>
>I'd be unbelievably surprised to hear that LG is not
>pursuing receivers with improved dynamic echo
>tolerance. More likely, they wouldn't be divulging
>that information to the public. As they also didn't
>let out a peep about their 5th gen receiver until
>it was good and ready for field tests.
>
>Bert

The last laugh has already been had many times. The last seven years
have  been a waste which cannot be recovered even if 8-VSB was perfect
tomorrow. The disaster is already past tense.

You have many companies pursuing COFDM for all kinds of uses. How many
are working on 8-VSB? At what price? There are five ventures proposed
for mobile DTV in the US all of which will use COFDM, Crown Castle,
Qualcomm, XM, Sirius and another.  I don't know how real XM or Sirius
are though. None of them would consider 8-VSB. Even in Korea they are
using DAB and DMB for mobile.

No, 8-VSB has a half life of under 10 years as a fixed service in a few
countries and then only because 5th generation is barely good enough.
The typical home will have 10 COFDM receivers for every 8-VSB receiver
in a few years.

Bob Miller